UFC 200: Northcutt survives deep arm-bar attempt, earns unanimous decision

It was a hard night in the cage for Northcutt, but the prospect was able to find a slight edge against Enrique Marín and score a tight decision victory.

UFC 200 is being held tonight (July 9, 2016) at the T-Mobile Arena on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada.

The event will be the first that the organization has hosted at T-Mobile Arena, which opened in April 2016. It takes place during the UFC’s annual International Fight Week and marks the second time the UFC has held host three events in consecutive days.

Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marín took place on the preliminary card which aired on Fox Sports 1.

The action started with both men looking light on the feet and throwing quick strikes.  The first blows landed were actually simultaneous jabs from each competitor.  Northcutt seemed to have a very early edge with kicks, but Marín countered by pushing the youngster to the cage and securing a takedown after some time in the clinch.  Northcutt swept with a heelhook attempt, though, and was able to transition to Marín’s back. Marín rolled to his back and was able to stand up into a clinch before Northcutt tried to take the fight back down.  Marin stuffed the shot and looked to move to the back, but Northcutt bucked him off and ended up on top in a wrestling base.  The round ended shortly after Marin was able to briefly regain top position. 

Marin looked to have slowed down just a tad as the second stanza got underway.  Northcutt, however, seemed fresh.  He used his speed advantage on the feet for a moment, landing some decent punches and kicks.  He made a mistake, though, and ended up going to his back after failing to take Marin down.  Mariin gook a north-south position and went for a kimura and then switched to an armbar attempt, eventually extending it fully.  Despite the danger, “Super” Sage refused to tap and found a way to spin around and escape the hold.  He missed an opportunity to stand-up, though, and Marin once again found himself in north -south and went for the kimura, before repeating the armbar attempt, as well.  Like before, Northcutt survived and found himself in top position at the end of the round.

The final round began with a flurry from both men, but Marin soon decided to return to the canvas.  he forced Northcutt into a clinch and muscled him down.  Sage stood, but couldn’t escape Marin’s cluthes in the clinch.  Elbows did the trick.  Northcutt opened Marin up with some nasty blows while defending another takedown, and almost secured a power guillotine.  Mariin was determined to not allow the young man to have any space, and took the fight back to the mat.  Not for long, though, as Sage once again reversed position and ended the fight on top.

The contest was tight, but Sage Northcutt was declared the winner with all three judges scoring the bout 29-28 in his favor.

Leave a Reply