Ariel Helwani reported last week that the UFC were working on a rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz to headline UFC 200.
The pair first met earlier this month where Nate Diaz earned a second round submission victory, handing Conor McGregor his first loss inside the octagon.
Many reports have come out saying the fight has only been verbally agreed however Helwani dismissed these claims on the MMA Hour on Monday.
“The reports of only a verbal agreement are not true, contracts have actually been issued. The fight is happening at 170 because McGregor is a “wildman”. He is obsessed that he lost to Nate at 170 and feels he should have won and wants the same rules as the first fight.” said Helwani.
“Reports that the fight as of yet is unconfirmed and still just a rumour are not true. When I says ‘in the works and targeted’ the only reason I am not saying it’s official is because I have enough respect for the UFC to let them officially announce it. All parties involved want this fight. Official announcement expected this week.”
Rather than force Diaz to drop down and come closer to his more natural weight, McGregor wants to earn what he sees as lost respect. He lost at the higher weight to a volume puncher in Diaz, so he’ll want to erase that loss as soon as possible.
Both fighters will have advantages this time around, too, as McGregor is given more time to settle at welterweight while Diaz enjoys a full training camp, potentially making for a much different second encounter.
UFC 200 will be held on July 9, 2016 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.Check out our latest podcast episode featuring a conversation with Cortney Casey.